Volunteering and Safety on Our Build Sites
Don’t worry if you don’t know the difference between a hammer and a pipe wrench or how to perform a particular task, one of our experienced crew leaders can teach you!
- Site hours are 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except statutory holidays.
- Upon arrival, be sure to sign in and acquire any necessary safety equipment.
- We then have a daily safety briefing which you are required to attend so please arrive on time!
- Work is assigned. Assignments are based on your skills and abilities. At no time will you be asked to perform work that is unsafe or that you are not comfortable doing.
- You gather the tools, equipment and supplies we provide and begin work.
- During our lunch break, you will be responsible for your own lunch. As the break is relatively short, we suggest you bring a lunch. In some cases, food outlets may be located nearby.
- Depending on the nature of the work you are doing, we begin cleanup between 3:30 – 3:45 p.m.
- You then wash up, change back into your own shoes, sign out and head home with our sincere gratitude for your help.
What will you be doing?
With minor exceptions for certified trade work, we perform nearly every task required to build our homes, from digging the foundation to sheeting the roof. And because certain tasks cannot begin until others are completed and inspected, it is difficult to predict exactly what we will be doing until one to two weeks prior.
At our build site, you could be:
- Landscaping to prepare for footings, sod, sidewalks & irrigation
- Installing weatherproofing to exterior walls
- Helping install rim joists, floor joists and sub-floor decking
- Building and erecting wall panels
- Erecting scaffolding
- Building, sheeting or shingling the roof
- Installing windows
- Installing doors
- Installing tar paper
- Installing siding
- Installing trim
- Installing cabinets
- Framing interior walls
- Painting interior or exterior walls
- Building porches or decks
- Touch ups
Safety is paramount at Habitat for Humanity Cornwall & The Counties. Please take a moment to prepare for your experience as a construction volunteer by reviewing the following safety video found here: Habitat for Humanity Canada Safety Video
After you watch the video, please review our Safety Guide found here: Habitat for Humanity Canada Handbook
Also, please note that long pants are required at all times, regardless of the temperature.
Build Volunteer Sign Up
We welcome individual volunteers who are looking for a fulfilling experience, along with groups of people who want to work together on a project. To participate with our current build or a future build, please watch the site safety video (above) and fill out the Volunteer Application found below.
Please contact our Build Coordinator, Joanne Mohamed at 613-938-0417 ext.206 or email@example.com to submit your volunteer application or discuss our build.
Ready to Build?
Make sure you have completed the tasks below and call or email us to arrange your build days.
- Volunteer Application
- Habitat for Humanity Safety Video
- Habitat for Humanity Safety Handbook
- CSA Approved Boots
- Long Pants